Thursday, June 17, 2010

The little things...

I wanted to say a big "THANK YOU" to my friend Patty for making a delicious home cooked meal for my family on Tuesday while we sat at Doernbecher all afternoon at Brody's doctor appointment and chemo treatment. I'm a vegetarian and so often people bring vegetarian dishes. Patty thought of the carnivores of the house this time around and boy oh boy do they ever thank you, Patty! Jeff still hasn't stopped raving about your chicken!

Last night, our aunt Cindy came over (after working a long day herself) and made us another yummy meal. Its so great to have someone who loves you just stop by, whip together a home cooked meal and then run out the door so we can enjoy it together as a family. Its these little things that are so, so helpful. Allow us to have family time without stress and ensure we are all getting adequate nutrition too. Must keep up our strength. So big thanks to Patty and Cindy this week.

Meals seem so trivial but they are the best way to help. I spend me entire day cooking for Brody trying to get him to eat anything. He's starting to feel the affects of three big doses of chemo in a week's time. I'm sure his counts are starting to take a hit and so he's feeling weaker than normal. What sick kid wants to eat? On the other hand, the steroids make him super hungry so his little body must be really confused. Its very difficult to get him to eat. By the time Jeff gets home from work I dont want to step foot back in the kitchen. Last time Brody received treatment, our friend Megan Campbell dropped off a home cooked meal each Thursday, treatment day. I love our friends and family who take care of us!

Today is Jeff's birthday so he gets take-in of his choice :)

Brody is hanging in there. Again, just trying to get him to eat and let him rest as much as he needs to. Just want to get through this last week of double dose chemo. Next week he switches to once a week and also cuts his steroid dose in half, hopefully these two things will help.

He's asking for more food so I must keep it short.

2 comments:

  1. This made me happy. The work I've been doing at the volunteer center has taught me that volunteering isn't always what we typically think of. We don't have to go to the soup kitchen and help the homeless, we have friends and neighbors, and local parks we can "volunteer" to help. I have grown to appreciate Cindy and her work.

    ReplyDelete