Monday, July 19, 2010

Chunk-a-monk

Brody has two more weeks to go on the steroids and then tapers completely off over a 7 day period. This last two weeks is a very low dose and I'm grateful he's almost done. I already see the signs of previous tapering, he's not eating like its his last meal and he's now just "terrible two" grumpy and not so much "roid rage" grumpy. :). He's so puffy in the upper body, he's our little chunk-a-monk!

He started walking late last week and is still very weak but doing it. His legs are not very strong and he gets stuck trying to stand up, which makes me sad for him, but I'm happy at the same time that he's finding the confidence to fight through. Its also another sign that he's feeling better. Dr. Stork assures us he'll lose some of this extra weight he's packed on once he's done with the steroids, so I'm certain that will help with the walking. He hasn't walked in two months and he has a lot more weight to try and move around.

Brody also wakes up happy again, YAY! I'm not sure he ever did this last time.... but its a bit like old times having him be so happy. It must only mean one thing - FEELING BETTER! He's far from feeling normal, but feeling better must be celebrated.

We have two more doses of chemotherapy, tomorrow (July 20th) and next Tuesday (July 27th) and then I have no idea where we go. Obviously our plan is still the bone marrow transplant but timing all depends on finding the perfect match. Im not certain if Dr. Stork plans on keeping him on chemo leading up to this or not, I suppose a lot of that depends on timing. There is so much we still dont know about this next phase and I'm certainly developing more anxiety daily knowing we are getting closer. I'm scared. Period.

Brody is at the 5 month mark for his lovenox and boy oh boy am I EVER getting sick of giving him twice daily shots. Imagine how Brody must feel :). However, its a lot better than the alternative, another clot. This is a question I'll have for Dr. Stork tomorrow, how long she plans on continuing. She inherited Brody and all his medications and secondary conditions so she's doing a really great job taking care of him, especially considering she's only been a part of his team going on 5 weeks.

Brody is thriving as a normal two year old in every other capacity, in my opinion at least. He's so smart, cute and funny. He's playing with toys again and interested in books and swinging on his swing, etc. The lack of confidence in his body still makes him very cautious about running around, climbing and jumping, behaviors you'd expect a two year old to display, but that all came back last time and I'm certain it will again. He loves being strolled around so we've been going on lots of walks and exploring the city.

Okay, must keep it short. Miss Kaelyn says so.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update. I'm so happy to know that he is smiling and laughing...One day at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear that he is starting to be Brody again!! That is great he is smiling and having fun again. Take care and give him a big hug from Lucy and me....big hugs to you too :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful news! Wonderful to see. His gross motor skills may be weak but he is one sharp cookie. I'm so proud of his strength and fortitude for such a young guy. Love you so much.

    ReplyDelete